Sunday, August 9, 2009

Encore ENHWI-G2 Wi-Fi Router

I bought my wifi router about a year ago from the famous CD-R King for about Php1,300. Untill now I'm still using it and it still works very fine. I connected it directly to a 16-port switch that was used for a small internet shop just located at the side of our house. It came with a 3dbi antenna that is why it's quite hard to connect when your room is on the 3rd floor of your house. Good thing that our room is located on the 2nd floor and with wooden floorings and the signal is around 34% on my Linux EeePC.  It also has 4 ethernet ports located at the back. It doesn't have a power switch so the power adapter is plugged-in for an instant turn-on. It's really plain and simple plug in wireless router. I had a hard time setting it up since i was quite new to wifi routers but the instruction manual that came with it was really helpful. One problem I encountered is that if you are not using the default Windows wireless network connection manager there is a tendency that you will get lost. I have returned the unit to CD-R King twice thinking that there was a problem with it but discovered later on that it was my Laptop's Wifi Manager that needs setting up. Well anyway I'm still glad I read the users manual twice. But if you are not a beginner then probably it's just a piece of cake.
 
The security option that I used was WPA2 with a passphrase to be able to connect.  So far there were no intruders found accessing our internet connection. There are so many setting jargons that I could not explore more so sorry if I cannot mention more than you expected.  For me it's reliable enough to give me the connection that I want.

No comments: