Wednesday, August 5, 2009

EeePC 900 Acquaintance

I just got my new (second hand) black Asus EeePC last Monday and it's just now that I have tried using it. Last night I did a hassle-full of uninstallation. There were so many applications installed by the previous owner that are deemed unapplicable to my purpose of acquiring this wonderful piece of netbook. I wanted to have a netbook instead of a notebook since nowadays I don't usually use my laptop for power-use. I temporarily ceased digital edititing (both video and photos) that is why I opt for a more light and smaller PC. Besides, I am very busy with work lately that I no longer have the time to check my personal emails and also do some blogging.

Although the A8He gives me enough display real estate, it was not handy enough to carry it at different parts of the house. But with the EeePC 900 it's like a handheld notebook that can fit anywhere I go. I do not mind having a small screen since I am used to the screen of my PDA Phone. The 8.9-inch (226 mm) 1024×600 LCD was not a bother to me unlike the Sony Vaio P series which have greater screen resolution but is difficult on the eyes. It came with a VGA camera which I really do not use and do not care if it's there or not. It's Intel Celeron 900MHz processor is not as speedy as the Pentium Dual-Core on my A8He but it sure is enough to do some basic task like word processing and web surfing. I do not expect to play SF on this machine and I do not want to play games using the small screen. It came with a decent 1GB of RAM and a total of 20GB of solid state drive. And since it's solid state then it's more robust but a little bit of slow when it comes to file transfer.

The OS that came with it when it was bought was Xandros Linux Distro but when I received it, Windows XP was the OS that greeted me. I planned to change it to the original OS but after doing some system maintenance it went just fine so I'm having second thoghts right now. Maybe I'll install the Linux distro later when the Win XP installation is already bloated with viruses and malware. I also need Win XP to run active sync to connect my HTC Touch Viva and back up important information. I also liked to use the Atheros wireless utility because it somehow maximizes the wifi capability of the device. When using the Windows built-in wireless connection the signal seems to be weak but if using Atheros the wifi signal seems to be strong. The 3 usb 2.0 is quite useful when copying files from my former notebook PC. It also came with a headphone jack found at the left side and is quite useful when you don't want to disturb someone when watching movies or videos from youtube. I have'nt had the time to test the VGA output but I'm sure this will work just fine.

One major problem that I'm encountering right now is that the keyboard is not that user friendly. It adopted the EeePC 700's tiny keyboard. But somehow I manage to type words correctly except for the numbers, backspace, enter, and the right shift button which is located far to the right and is often mistaken by my huge fingers as the up/down keys which ruins everything. The problem escalates when you are typing in dark and slows you down a little bit. But this is a type of thing that's getting used to so I gotta do some typing more often. As far as I can assess it won't take time to keep this gettin going.

No comments: